Wednesday, December 10, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

It's time for What's Up Wednesday!




WHAT I'M READING

  I'm still working my way through Great Expectations. It's an enjoyable read but I'm glad I'm taking it a chapter at a time.  Heir of Fire finally came in to my local library so I'm devouring it. I love it just like I knew I would and I'm finding that I like Dorian much more than I did in the previous books. Until recently I have always preferred Chaol. 

  The children and I are reading The Princess and the Goblin. They like it but its easy to loose them in-between action scenes so I find myself adding as much drama to my voice as I can so they stay focused. I have never read it before and I am surprised at how much I am loving it. 

 Two weeks full of Christmas cards to write, presents to wrap and all the usual household chores sent me on an audio book binge. I listened to both The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson and The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski. Why aren't either of the sequels out yet?!? 
  The Kiss of Deception was my favorite. I loved the way it utilized multiple points of view and the depth and drama that technique added to the story. I also love pretty much anything with a princess in hiding and an assassin... so I was a goner from the start.  The Winner's Curse was excellent too but I wasn't "quite" as lost in it as I was the other one. 

WHAT I'M WRITING (+ ONE WRITING GOAL)*

  Addresses on Christmas cards? Yeah, that really doesn't count. My goal this week is to actually work on my WIP every day for at least 15 minutes. That seems to be the best sort of goal for me during this busy season. 
WHAT WORKS FOR ME**

Sigh. It's hard to fill this section in when I didn't get anything written this week. 

WHAT ELSE IS NEW

  My oldest son and I both had birthdays this  week so that made for the best sort of craziness.
We also attended a  musical production of The Shoemaker and the Elves at our library which was very fun and seemed to inspire my already theatrical and musical children.  Oh and I won signed copies of Counting to D and The Evolution of Emily by Kate Scott!!! They arrived yesterday. I may have skipped home form the mail box. Thank you Kate Scott :)

8 comments:

  1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy them. :)

    And I agree, writing addresses on Christmas cards totally counts.

    Have a great week and a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, happy belated birthday! I hope you had a fun time celebrating!

    Second of all, Dorian and Chaol isn't an easy choice. I've always been partial to Chaol too but still love Dorian, and I really enjoyed his story line in HEIR OF FIRE. Glad you're liking it so much too!

    And don't worry too much about the lack of writing this week. It's SO hard to focus on writing during the Christmas season with all the other busyness. Just think of it as recharging for the new year! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I almost forgot! On my blog you mentioned you were looking for a book with the perfect dose of Christmas magic. Have you read THE LEGEND OF HOLLY CLAUS by Brittney Ryan? It's wonderful and magical and very Christmas-y! There's a novel and a picture book and I definitely recommend the novel!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! I admire you for taking on great expectations. I read it when I was younger and couldn't finish it, but maybe I should try it again now that I'm older. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! *loads confetti cannon with christmas cookies and elves* *fires*

    And addresses on Christmas cards totally counts toward you word count. ;) Anyone who finds time to send out paper cards, basically wins Christmas in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated Birthday, Sarah! Hope it was a good one. :-)
    I have to echo Erin's comment about THE LEGEND OF HOLLY CLAUS. I loved that one! I have both the novel and the picture book. I'm so happy you loved KISS OF DECEPTION and THE WINNER'S CURSE as much as I did. I have to say KoD had a really unique twist in that you didn't know who was the prince and who was the assassin. Very cool! Can't wait for the sequels to both books.

    I, too, am just trying to squeeze writing in where I can over the Christmas season. Tricky, isn't it? Have a great week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome you won signed copies of her books! Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many happy returns of the day to you and your DS! Isn't The Princess and the Goblin good? It has a sequel that i love, too, The Princess and Curdie. Yes, i know, you don't need any more added to your to-be-read pile, just as i don't!

    ReplyDelete