Monday, December 2, 2013

Slowly Coming Back

   I didn't mean to disappear for the entire month of November but that is exactly what I did.  It was a smart move. The entire month was so full I could hardly keep up and that's without adding NaNo to the mix!  I didn't win NaNo but I did write 28k on my new project.  I'm not sure what is up with this story but it won't let me write it quickly.  The words sort of dribble out bit by bit.  I can usually write 1k in an hour or even 1.5k but this month it was more like 500 an hour.  Oh well.  I love this story.  I've been wanting to write it for a long time now and I love getting lost in the icy world I created. It is more complex than my previous work and the timeline has to be more exact as it takes place on the perimeter of an existing fairy tale.  I can't wait to get caught up on what all of you have been working on this past month!

   Before I go, I can't resist sharing a bit of what I've been hiding away to work on.
This is the blurb I put together before I started.  I ended up writing it in third person but this gives an idea of what it is about. 

"She was perfect.  Everyone knew it.  Even I knew it deep down.  Who would see me when someone like her was around?  I could change that.  I could make her nothing but a reflection of what she had been, or...  or I could make her reflect others back to themselves.  It would be like she did not even exist. "

This is a quote from the story itself.

“Why, why would you do that? How did you even know about me?”
“I was spying on Galina, of course. She too picked you ahead of Claire but she soon saw what everyone else did. A heart that was true. "

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Congratulations on the work you got done. It's significant, even if it's not quite as much as you hoped you could do in that time frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would have loved to make 50k but I'm glad I got as much written as I did. Its definitely a start!

      Delete
  2. That's not a bad pace. My pace is 500 words/hour on a good day, about 250-300 on a bad day. That sounds like it could become an interesting story. I'm not sure if you have, but if you haven't, this story would benefit from a lot of physical clues from your protagonist. Jeering, grimacing, clenching her fist, etc. Make your audience feel what your protagonist feels by letting them in her head and rather than simply stating things, show them. Again, you may be doing this all along, I don't know. It's just a thought I had. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some physical clues but I'm pretty sure I will need to layer more in when I go through the revising process. I like constructive criticism btw, so thanks for sharing.

      Delete