Tuesday, September 3, 2013

IWSG and What's Up Wednesday!

It's time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group and Erin and Jaimie's What's Up Wednesday!

I'm going to start with my IWSG post.
    I'm not sure what happened to August.  It is frightening how quickly it flew past.  I was content where I was last month but this month is different.  This month I have more responsibilities then I do time.  I've also realized just how much work I have to do to get "Slumber" from a raw first draft to the story I want it to be.  Now I just have to figure out how to get it there.  My world building feels weak and my main character is missing that "spark", the one I feel in my favorite books but I can't seem to create in my own.  All I can do is keep learning, writing and read, read, read and hope that it all falls into place.  Its a bit intimidating.  Some days I wonder if I don't have the talent to pull off what it is I am trying to do.  


Now for  What's Up Wednesday!

What I've Been Reading  Hmm, what have I been reading?  A lot..  I read Delirium by Lauren Oliver in one day.  Yup.  I loved it.  (Her character had a decent amount of the "spark" I referred to earlier.)  I'm now reading The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (I love you, NetGalley!), Dark Road Home by Elizabeth Ludwig, and  Structuring Your Novel by K.M.Weiland.  Tomorrow I will be starting Rebellious Heart by Jody Hedlund.
What I've Been Writing  Nothing :(  I've had a terrible writing week. 
What Inspires Me Right Now  I have been finding a lot of inspiration at Jody Hedlund's blog.  I will be sharing why she inspires me tomorrow so please stop by.  There will be a giveaway for a copy of Rebellious Heart!
What Else I've Been Up To  We had our first day of school yesterday so my days are now filled with lesson planning and trying to infect my little ones with a love for learning.  My sister and cousin are still visiting so we've been marathoning Once Upon a Time and going for lots of long walks and runs.  Today we are hoping to go down to the beach early enough to find sand dollars and other sorts of sea shells. 
I've also been helping other's promote books whenever I can.  I love it!
That's pretty much everything...  (except for drinking lots of coffee.  I've been doing that too!)

28 comments:

  1. I have the same doubts, especially after reading a really great novel. Do I have what it takes to write compelling characters and awesome stories? I'm still not sure I do, but I'm willing to keep going until I find out one way or the other. :)

    We started the new homeschool year this week, and while my wife does the majority of the teaching, I completely understand what you mean about filling your time with lesson planning and energizing your kids to learn. It's a lot harder than it may appear to some (except perhaps those who teach), and just because you're at home and it's your own kids, that doesn't make it any easier. In fact, I would say it's harder because the home environment requires a lot more discipline to stay focused on school work.

    I wish you all the best with your writing this week, and I truly hope you and your family have an awesome school year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, reading a great novel can be an overwhelming experience sometimes! I'm willing to wait and find out too, but it sure does take a lot of determination.
      I agree that it takes a lot of discipline to stay focused in a home environment. That and creativity, I think :)

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about struggling to give your MC that spark. I've struggled with that very same thing. Mostly I just get frustrated when I can't get down on the page what is in my head. Or I can't capture a particular feeling that I want my WIP to have. I guess that's what revisions are for, right? I hope you're able to find it, Sarah! And hopefully we'll both have good writing weeks soon. Have a great time with your sister and cousin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I definitely struggle when it comes to creating the feeling that I am going for. I hope that practice really does make perfect :)

      Delete
  3. I hate having those fears and doubts. But that's the life of a writer. It would be easier to have a 9-5 job without all the self-doubt, but that's not the life we chose. Just keep at it. It's hard, and sometimes it sucks, but it's worth it in the end.

    Just keep swimming.
    Happy two years IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a 9-5 job sounds appealing but in the end I love what I am doing. Thank you for the encouragement :)

      Delete
  4. I actually did not enjoy Delirium as much as I was hoping to. Then I read the sequel and WHOA. I have a feeling you will LOVE PANDEMONIUM. And REQUIEM! I hope you have a better writing week - I have weeks and months like that. But it usually passes. :)

    Have a great week! And enjoy time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading a truly amazing book, one you connect deeply with, makes your own writing seem pale and drab in comparison. There are a few things you should remember, though. These books have been handled and edited by not only a skilled author, but an agent and editor. I don't know a single published author who will say their books began perfect or made them feel fabulous after one draft. Don't be discouraged.

    I applaud all homeschooling parents. My hat is off. This is something I am pretty sure I could never pull off.

    Have a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the reminder. I really needed it!

      Delete
  6. I loved TDT, as you know. I adored DELIRIUM, and the remainder of the trilogy is even better. Lauren Oliver is amazing! Best of luck getting back into the swing of writing. I know how those rough weeks can be... I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried talking to your character? Sometimes that sounds strange but works. And good luck with the home school. Make it about fun and discovery, and you will instill in them a life long love of learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I'm going to now! I'm thinking of having my character keep a journal for a few weeks... sounds odd but hopefully it will prove to be helpful!
      Thanks for the encouragement :)

      Delete
  8. I absolutely believe that persistance is worth more than talent. I often have characters write me a letter if I'm struggling.

    Happy IWSG Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it is! The letter idea sounds great :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, homeschooling! I used to work in schools and I've done a lot of planning so I know exactly how hard it can be to keep everything fresh and exciting. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the new school year! I'm very impressed with the amount you read, now all you have to do is spread that love of learning to the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All excellent reading material, especially Delirium.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about no writing but you're going on walks, picking up sea shells and reading (got the same book from netgalley as well) so at least you're doing something. I'm sure the words will come Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo I'm reading The Dream Thieves too right now. I love it.

    No worries about the terrible writing week. Sometimes you just have to forfeit from writing and come back to it later. Breaks--even if they are just little ones--help tremendously to help get out of the stuck.

    Good luck and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been working on my WIP for over four years and I've made little progress. It's okay if edits go slow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We started school yesterday too, and in the evening I got a grand total of three sentences written because my brain was in school mode. Blah. Not sure about you, but it takes me some time to settle into the fall schedule.

    You're so lucky you get to read THE DREAM THIEVES early! I need to pre-order my copy right away!

    Have fun collecting seashells, and I hope you can find that "spark" for your mc!

    ReplyDelete
  16. To be able to go to the beach and collect seashells and sand dollars! Sounds so relaxing! Enjoy time with you family :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to read THE DREAM THIEVES. So jealous you've got your hands on it early. :)

    Your week sounds lovely! And don't worry about having a slow writing week, you'll get back into the swing of things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think you can ever read too much. When I'm feeling low about what I'm writing, reading always helps to relax and refresh me. It can also give me some ideas to help push me in the right direction.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have what it takes! Just tackle one area at a time. With world building, it helps to list the areas and build from that point. Politics, money, business/jobs, transportation, races, etc. Thinking about it all at once is overwhelming. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete