Sunday, February 3, 2013

Writing Prompt Fun

I decide to write a quick story to go with the Saturday writing prompt from Kathleen Doyle's blog Writing, Reading,Life.

It was really fun! Here is what I came up with.

      “No! I won’t do it. I hate cleaning.”
 My big sister was mad. That wasn’t anything new.
“I told you to put away your shoes. Start with that.” Mom said.
 Her lips were funny looking, like they had forgotten how to move all the way.
“NO” my sister yelled back. “You can’t make me do it.” She crossed her arms and glared.
 Mom took one step toward her then let out a squeal as her toe connected with a metal dump truck. She almost fell into a bowl of fruit. It was a good thing she missed it. She had spent forever getting it to look like that. I scurried to the far side of the room and started picking up toys as fast as my arms could go. The dump truck was mine. It was supposed to be put away yesterday. I glanced back to see what had become of my sister. She was sitting in the time out corner with a sly grin on her lips.
 “AW, it looks like you have to do all the cleaning by yourself.” she said.
“No I don’t” I said
 The room was a mess.
“Go ask Mom. I’ll bet that she tells you to clean the whole thing”
 I didn’t want to talk to Mom. What if she remembered why her toe hurt?”
 “Yup, you have to clean the whole room, all by yourself. Ahh, it is so relaxing over here. I’m so glad that I don’t have to clean.”
 “No talking in time out “Mom called out from the other room.
“I don’t want to clean the whole room. I’m hungry.” I said.
My sister was smiling with one eye brow raised up taller than the other. That never meant anything good.
 “There is a whole bowl of fruit right there in front of you. Mmm. It looks so good.”
 It did look good. My sister looked over her shoulder to make sure that Mom wasn’t watching. She crawled up to me.
“Take just one bite and you can join me,” she whispered into my ear. “You can’t clean if you’re in time out.”
I looked at the sea of toys and books. I looked at the pile of smelly shoes. Time out really didn’t seem like that bad of an option. I walked up to the fruit bowl and took out the biggest, juiciest apple. It was at the bottom so the rest of the fruit tumbled all over. I opened my mouth and sank my teeth into its shiny skin just as Mom walked into the room.
Moments later I was in time out across the room from my sister. She looked at me and flashed me a triumphant grin. Whatever her motive may have been, she had been right. This sure did beat cleaning.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining in the Saturday Prompt! I loved the sisters=)

    ReplyDelete