Sunday, January 4, 2015

Book Review: Love Unexpected by Jody Hedlund



I love Jody Hedlund's books and I was excited to receive a review copy of her latest book, Love Unexpected. It's the first book in her new series Beacons of Hope. Romance, inspiration and lighthouses! Perfect!

First thoughts:  This was a story with a rich setting and vibrant characters, just like I've come to expect from Jody Hedlund's books.

What it's about: It's about a young woman named Emma and how she finds the home her heart has yearned for in a most unexpected way, a marriage of circumstance. Just when she feels like she finally has what she has wanted most, rumors and doubt creep in. Who is this man that she has married and why does her neighbor feel the need to warn her about him?

What I liked about it: I loved the layers of the relationships in this story. There were so many deep connections. The first one you see is the relationship between Emma and her brother and then you see her connect with her new husband, Patrick, and Patrick's two year old son. The lighthouse itself adds a layer as it helps Patrick and Emma connect to each other. Then there is the layer of faith that helps the characters through the darkest secrets of the story.

What I didn't like: The timeline of events seemed rushed to me but I suppose they really would be rushed in a marriage of convince sort of setting.

Who I'd recommend it to: I think anyone who loves historic or inspirational fiction would love this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment