The questions I'm asking are:
- Whose point of view is this scene from?
- What is the goal of this scene?
- Is the character consistent?
- Is the conflict strong?
- Does it end with a disaster of a hook?
- Is the tension escalating?
It is a guest post by Cathy Yardley.
I'm not following her methods completely but it gave me a great place to start. I have answered these questions for the first 23 scenes of my book and I am noticing some interesting facts about my writing.
- I almost always have character consistency.
- I almost never have enough action/conflict. I come off as passive when I shouldn't.
- I have lots of hooks and not enough disasters, which is probably why my work lacks action...